My Anthem

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

When in grief, seek out a FRIEND...

I know all of us would one day mourn the loss of a loved one, for as it's stated beyong question -- and sometimes human understanding? -- life on Mother GoOD Earth is ephemeral, transitory, sometimes bewildering, even illusory, but the only two constants in Life are Change and Death.

mGf from Down Under blogger matey sweetspirits marks the passing on of a friend suffering from cancer for some time now, so from certain perspective, it's reaching a horizon of Release from human woes. Sweets sends the following poems to share:

A prayer for Ramadan

Each moment is like sunlight on the heart,
Infinity within infinity.

Descend now from the whole back to the part,
As fast gives way to feast, and One to me.
Love is worship, as is pure, chaste pleasure;
Food is worship, music, dance, delight.
Immersed in talk, we savor what we treasure,
The days of fasting fading fast from sight,
Returning, turning, burning through the night.


another poem

I would not be the sun to end your night,
Nor would I be the wall to turn your tears.
But I will watch with you until it's light.


Because there are no words to set things right
Nor hopes that one immersed in mourning hears,
I would not be the sun to end your night,

Offering a wisdom far too bright
To soothe your pain or put to rest your fears.
But I will watch with you until it's light.

There must be time to grieve that sorrow might
Be equal to the love of days and years.
I would not be the sun to end your night.

For grief, before it breaks, must reach its height,
And tides must turn before one homeward steers.
But I will watch with you until it's light.

There are agonies no friendship can requite,
A bitterness unstained till dawn appears.
I would not be the sun to end your night.
But I will watch with you until it's light. You are to me a very special sun
That shines upon a world few ever see,
A world I'm shy to show to everyone,
That hides its urgent truth from even me.
Without your light it is a world of darkness;
Its heaven and its hell lie fast asleep.
With you as sole and sympathetic witness,
The words come forth from out my vasty deep.
And so I cannot be myself without you;
No one is whole without some loving friend.
There is a quiet joy in me about you
That lets me say what I need not defend.
Long may we serve each other to give light
To all the loveliness that haunts the night.

No comments: